Sunday 28 November 2010

Best Birthday Gift Ever

I was born on Christmas Day and every year my Mom and Grandmother tell me I was 'the best Christmas gift ever.'  Aren't they sweet?  But having a birthday on the biggest holiday of the year has always presented difficulties for celebrating in the usual ways.  As a kid I often had my parties in January when the chaos of Christmas was past and all my friends were back in town.  As an adult I've found it valuable in lobbying for bigger and more expensive gifts since it's Christmas and my birthday. 

Admittedly, I turn 30 this year (fodder for another post) and having ambiguous feelings about such a monumental milestone, Matt aimed to pacify any negative emotions by offering me my choice of birthday presents.  I gave it some thought and then reported to him what my ultimate pick would be. 

In case you weren't jealous enough that I am married to such a thoughtful/considerate man, check this out:
Yep.  He took me to see Wicked in London.  It was fabulous!

We decided to make the most of a daytrip without the kids and also arranged to go on a tour of Parliament (also fabulous).
Pictured below is Westminster Hall. This was the only room we were allowed to take photographs in - it's the only original part of the building and dates to 1095.  The rest of Parliament was rebuilt after a fire in the mid 1800s.
The tour consisted of three areas.  First, the queen's entrance and dressing hall.  Second, the House of Lords, and third, the House of Commons.  We learned many interesting things about British politics and enjoyed touring this magnificent, world-famous building.
We had a couple hours before Wicked so we decided to stroll down to 10 Downing Street and see if the Prime Minister was in.
 
That's Number 10 down there, but as you can see it is heavily guarded nowadays, so this was our best view.

We enjoyed lunch at a classic English pub, grabbed a treat at a bakery, and then enjoyed the afternoon at Wicked before catching the evening train home to Peterborough.

Amy and Emily had a delightful day as well.  Cassie, a young adult from church, looked after the girls for us.  Cassie is currently doing her student teaching at university and has her own car.  She helped Amy with her homework, played with them in the snow (yes we have snow already!!!), and then took the girls downtown for an amazing afternoon at the Queensgate Shopping Centre.  They visited a friend at a milkshake shop (and got free milkshakes), had lunch at McDonalds, and then went to see Father Christmas (Santa).  When Matt and I arrived home they had made pizzas and Cassie was styling their hair while they watched "Frosty the Snowman."  Emily cried when Cassie went home...

Guess we'll have to do another daytrip to London!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh... I've been singing Defying Gravity all week long. Guess I was in sync with you and your wonderful day! Looks like you had a great early b-day with a sweet husband. :)

    ReplyDelete