Thursday 16 December 2010

New outfit anyone?

Despite a bachelor's degree in music, I think the most valuable course I took at university may have been "Clothing Construction."  It has been very useful throughout the years and particulary most recently.

In addition to the annual Halloween costume creations, Amy needed a World War 2 -era outfit for a school trip to the Imperial War Museum in Duxford (Cambridgeshire). 

And a lady from church asked me (actually, begged with many tears) if I could make her a wedding dress.  It was my first attempt at sewing something for someone other than my immediate family members, so I felt a bit of stress in trying to get it just right.  She wanted something simple, yet elegant.  Flowy, angelic... 
It took a combination of a couple different patterns and a lot of modifications to get the fit right, but in the end I think it turned out alright. 

The bride was very happy with it.

I wish I would have thought to take some close-up pictures of the lace detail on the bodice and the little daisy chain stitches that border the organza overlay on the skirt. Oh well... they're there.

No comments:

Post a Comment